We’d like to share a few preventative tips on how to avoid injuries when skiing or snowboarding this Winter. These tips come from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons:
- Warm up thoroughly before playing sports. Cold muscles, tendons and ligaments are more vulnerable to injury.
- Take lessons. Beginners have a higher risk of injury, especially in skiing and snowboarding.
- Know and abide by all rules of the sport and location.
- Wear appropriate protective gear.
- Learn how to fall correctly. Snowboarders should fall with hands tucked in. Skiers should discard ski poles during a fall.
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after activities.
- Avoid participating in sports when you are tired. Most ski/boarding accidents happen after lunch when people have lower energy levels.
Don’t let an injury ruin your winter season. If you do injure your hand, arm, or shoulder, contact us for an evaluation so we can positively support your healing process. Our goal is to help you get back to doing the winter activities you love as soon as possible.